The annual GM winter meetings are due to begin tomorrow morning. Every winter the General managers of all 30 clubs meet for about a week to discuss the business of Baseball. They discuss trades and free agency, and get a feel for what their team and the other 29 clubs are looking for to improve their rosters for the next season.
During the meetings trades will be discussed, and rumors will fly, but try not to believe every rumor you hear. Here are a few things to remember pertaining to the Dodgers before the winter meetings start tomorrow.
- The Dodgers will listen to other clubs about potential trades for Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, and Carl Crawford, but it doesn’t mean they will trade anyone. Unless Ned Colletti is blown away by an offer he can’t refuse, I think everyone stays put.
- The Dodgers don’t have to trade anybody, no matter what some of the other writers tell you.
- Matt Kemp’s agent Dave Stewart is coming to this year’s winter meetings. This doesn’t mean Matt Kemp is getting traded. Not at all. Even though this is the first time Stewart has ever gone to one of these gatherings, it still does not mean Matt Kemp is being traded.
- The Dodgers might make a play for Tampa Bay Ace David Price.
- There are many other teams interested in David Price.
- The Dodgers don’t have to trade or try to trade for David Price.
- The Dodgers don’t need David Price, after winning 92 games, and the NL West title, and appearing in the NLCS in 2013.
- David Price Would still be nice to have though. He’s nice and shiny, and makes the clamorers happy.
- The Dodgers have a huge hole at third base. If the club does make a deal expect a third baseman to be involved.
- The Dodgers also have a few other needs. They need another left-handed reliever, possibly another starter, and several bench pieces.
The wheeling and dealing begins tomorrow. We may be in for a wild ride, or we may be in for a very short boring ride. Either way we’ll keep you informed on all of the crazy trade speculations and hot stove transactions.